Benefits of Amla: Indian Gooseberry (Amla) is considered one of the most nutritious fruit. Consuming one Amla per day can keep you away from several diseases like diabetes and hypertension (blood pressure). Amla, also known as Indian Gooseberry, is the richest natural source of vitamin C. Not just that, it contains many essential nutrients that make it a superfood.
The fruit is enriched with antioxidant properties, which is why Ayurveda has been using Amla for thousands of years. Amla is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, potassium and iron. It is beneficial in all forms, raw or juice, jam or pickle.
Nutritional Facts of Amla
|Nutrients Present||Amount in 100 gram serving of Amla|
|Total fat||1mg (0%)|
|Total carbohydrates||10g (4%)|
|Dietary fibre||4.3g (15%)|
|Vitamin A||290 IU (6%)|
|Vitamin C||482mg (500%)|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||0.16 ± 0.05 mg|
Benefits of Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Amla is a very beneficial fruit for our health. Regular consumption of Amla can cure many diseases and help you live a healthy life. Here are some of the surprising benefits of eating Amla:
1. Immune Booster
The Indian gooseberry helps to boost the immune system. Fruit is a rich source of Vitamin C that increases immunity and metabolism, preventing our body from infections and diseases.
2. Good for Hair
Alopecia, known as hair loss, is one of the biggest problems people face due to a lack of Vitamin C. The Indian gooseberry is one of the most excellent sources of Vitamin C that improve the growth and health of the hair. Amla is scientifically proven helpful for treating hair loss (Alopecia).
3. Lowers the Cholesterol Level
Most people having high Cholesterol levels use drugs to maintain the Cholesterol. But a study in 2012 states that Amla is proven to be very useful in Cholesterol levels thanks to its cholesterol-lowering property.
4. Controlling diabetes
Amla helps control sugar levels in the blood. According to a study, people with diabetes tested a significant effect of having Indian gooseberry with improved blood sugar levels.
5. Helpful in Improving eyesight
Eating Amla regularly protects the eyes from various infections. It helps improve eye vision and makes the eye muscles stronger. It comes with the benefit of relaxing the eyes when stressed out.
6. Improves Liver Health
Amla, or Indian gooseberry, benefits liver health by aiding detoxification, providing antioxidants to combat free radicals, reducing inflammation, promoting liver cell regeneration, and supporting healthy lipid metabolism. While incorporating amla into your diet can complement a healthy lifestyle, seeking medical advice for existing liver conditions is essential.
7. Aids in Digestion
Amla, also known as the Indian gooseberry, aids digestion in various ways. It contains natural acids that stimulate digestive enzymes, promoting smoother digestion. Its fiber content helps regulate bowel movements and supports a healthy gut. Additionally, amla’s antioxidant properties reduce inflammation in the digestive tract, alleviating discomfort. Consuming amla regularly can contribute to improved digestion and overall gastrointestinal health. However, if you have specific digestive issues, it’s essential to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice.
8. Keeps your heart healthy
Amla promotes heart health through antioxidants that reduce oxidative stress, anti-inflammatory properties that protect arteries, and its potential to improve cholesterol levels. Incorporating amla into a heart-healthy lifestyle can be beneficial. Still, medical advice is essential for those with existing heart conditions.
9. Promotes Kidney Health
Amla, or Indian gooseberry, may positively impact kidney health through its antioxidant properties, which help reduce oxidative stress and protect the kidneys from damage. Its anti-inflammatory effects can also alleviate kidney inflammation. Additionally, amla’s diuretic properties may aid in promoting healthy urine flow and kidney function. However, individuals with kidney conditions should consult a healthcare professional before including amla in their diet to ensure it aligns with their specific health needs and any ongoing treatments.
Also Read: Benefits of Custard Apple
How to Eat Amla?
Amla is a little sour and bitter, and consuming it in raw form is difficult. However, if you do not want to miss the amazing benefits of Amla, you can consume it in other forms like juice, powder, candies and jam.
Adding amla juice to your diet is the best method to get benefitted. Have amla juice with water on an empty stomach every day; this will help you to improve digestion, boost your immune system, improve eyesight, and refine your liver. Here are some of the fantastic amla juice Benefits:
- Improves the Function of the Liver- The Indian gooseberry helps to detox your body from phytochemicals (corilagin, ellagic acids, gallic acid, quercetin), improving liver function.
- Amla juice is a complete Nutritional drink having nutrients like Vitamin C, Iron, Calcium, protein, and phosphorus.
- Amla juice has been known to be the best home remedy for cold and cough treatment for ages. Consuming amla juice and honey daily will give you better results in treating cough & cold.
- Consuming amla juice daily provides immunity, which helps in hair growth, and also helps in dandruff clearing.
- According to a study, the Indian gooseberry increases white blood cells, improving defense mechanisms to fight against diseases and infections.
The other best method of consuming Amla is the form of powder. As amla powder is bitter, there are different ways of consuming it, like mixing it with juice for breakfast, sprinkling it on fruit salad, or mixing it with honey, lime juice & ginger powder. Here are some of the benefits of Amla Powder:
- Amla powder is a rich source of antioxidants, which helps in reducing cell damage and cancer risk.
- Amla powder is known to be the purest form of Vitamin C. It makes our blood vessels thicker and more robust. Amla boosts immunity to fight against infection and diseases.
- One of the best benefits you get from amla powder is that it helps control the cholesterol level in the body, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Amla powder helps cure skin diseases as it protects the skin from bacterial infection by purifying the blood. Regular consumption of Amla promotes glowing skin and is considered an excellent anti-aging food.
- Amla comes with the benefits of having high fiber content helps in improving the digestive system. The amla powder is the best remedy for constipation and stomach ulcers.
- Amla is the best source of nutrients and a perfect treasure for a healthy body. Fruit is the main ingredient of Ayurveda because of the antioxidants present. Amla is the best and most abundant source of Vitamin C, including other nutrients like iron, calcium, phosphorus, protein, and much more.
Amla Murabba is a traditional Indian sweet preserve made from Indian gooseberries (amla) that have been soaked in sugar syrup until they become soft and translucent. It is a popular and delicious way to consume amla and is known for its various health benefits. Here are some key points about Amla Murabba:
- Rich in Nutrients: Amla Murabba retains the nutritional benefits of amla, which is a rich source of Vitamin C, antioxidants, and various minerals like calcium and phosphorus.
- Boosts Immunity: The high Vitamin C content in Amla Murabba helps strengthen the immune system, making the body more resilient to infections and diseases.
- Good for Digestion: Amla Murabba is believed to aid digestion due to its fiber content and natural acids that stimulate digestive enzymes.
- Heart Health: Some studies suggest that amla may positively impact heart health by reducing cholesterol levels and improving overall cardiovascular function.
- Antioxidant Properties: Amla is known for its potent antioxidant properties, which help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body and reduce oxidative stress.
Amla candies are another popular way to consume amla, especially among children and those who prefer a tangy and sweet snack. Amla candies are made by preserving amla in sugar syrup and drying them until they become chewy and flavorful. Here are some points about Amla candies:
- Convenient Snack: Amla candies offer a convenient and tasty way to incorporate the health benefits of amla into your daily routine. They can be carried easily and enjoyed as a snack on the go.
- Vitamin C Boost: Amla candies provide a good dose of Vitamin C, which is essential for a strong immune system, healthy skin, and overall well-being.
- Digestive Aid: Amla’s natural acids and fiber content in the candies can aid digestion and promote a healthy gut.
- Natural Sweetness: Amla candies derive sweetness from the sugar syrup used in the preservation process. However, consuming them in moderation is essential due to their sugar content.
- Antioxidant Benefits: Just like Amla Murabba, Amla candies also offer antioxidant benefits to combat oxidative stress and support cellular health.
Amla, or Indian gooseberry, is rightfully considered one of the most nutritious fruits due to its rich content of essential nutrients and antioxidants. Consuming Amla regularly can have a wide range of health benefits, including improved immunity, hair health, heart health, digestion, and kidney function.
Whether consumed as raw fruit, powder, candies, Murabba, or Amla Juice this superfood can provide a natural and wholesome boost to overall well-being. However, as with any dietary addition, moderation is key, and those with specific health conditions should seek medical advice for personalized recommendations. Embracing Amla as part of a balanced diet can lead to a healthier and more vibrant lifestyle.